Hiking In Maderia - 6 Days
Where you'll be going..........
Day 1 - Santana
Arrive at any time. Tonight, meet your CEO and fellow travellers at the welcome meeting, then opt to head out for dinner with the group. Your opportunity to meet your CEO and fellow travellers, and learn more about your tour. Opt to join the group for a local meal afterwards. Don't forget to see the notice in the lobby (or ask reception) for the official time and place to meet up with the group.
Day 2 - Santana
- The Levada do Caldeirão Verde is one of the island's greenest, lushest trails - a beautiful walk any time of the year. Set out for a half-day hike over varied terrain, with panoramic views over São Jorge village and the mountains that surround the valley. Enjoy a picnic by the waterfalls.
- Settle in and scan the scenery from the convenience of a private vehicle from Santana to Levada do Caldeirão Verde
- Observe the island's natural flora as you meander along this popular hiking trail, which gets its name from the lush carpet of green that surrounds travellers on the Levada do Caldeirão Verde. Hike over dirt trails and stone paths, which can get a little slippery - walking sticks can be provided if needed. Stop for a picnic lunch by the waterfalls and lagoon.
- Settle in and scan the scenery from the convenience of a private vehicle from Levada do Caldeirão Verde to Santana
- Hotel O Colmo Santana
Day 3 - Santana/Funchal
- Summit one of the island's tallest peaks, the Pico do Arieiro. At an altitude of 1,818m, it's the third highest in Madeira. The hike requires some scrambling with steep ascents, but stunning views of the island above the cloud line make every step worth it.
- Settle in and scan the scenery from the convenience of a private vehicle from Santana to Pico do Arieiro
- Today's challenging hike up to Pico do Arieiro takes us through uneven, rocky terrain, a man-made tunnel and some steep ascents that may require scrambling over rocks. Reach the summit at 1,500m above sea level. If the conditions are right, find yourself above the clouds, looking down over Madeira.
- Settle in and scan the scenery from the convenience of a private vehicle from Pico do Arieiro to Santana.
- Hotel Orquidea
Day 4 - Funchal
- Hike to the Cabo Girão viewpoint, one of Europe's highest and rightfully a popular destination on the island. Traverse the skywalk, a glass walkway that extends over the edge of the cliffs, looking down straight into the sea. Enjoy stunning views of the southern coast. Later, opt to try Madeira's famous poncha - a drink made with aguardente de cana (distilled sugarcane liqour) that's often sweetened with fruit.
- Settle in and scan the scenery from the convenience of a private vehicle from Funchal to Cabo Girão
- Walk along the winding Cabo Girão trails and take in beautiful panoramic views of the sea. At the trail's end, find the skywalk, jutting out of the cliffs at over 580m above sea level.
- Settle in and scan the scenery from the convenience of a private vehicle from Cabo Girão
- Hotel Orquidea
Day 5 - Funchal
- Enjoy a full free day. Opt to take a scenic jeep tour, explore the town, or take a cable car up to nearby Monte and take an exhilarating toboggan ride back down to Funchal.
- Free time there's loads to explore
- Hotel Orquidea
Day 6 - Funchal
It's your last day of this amazing tour, you can leave at any time, enjoy your day and we hope to see you again soon!
- Meals Included - 5 breakfasts and 3 Lunches
- All ground transport
- Meet CEO and the group